Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Summer Reflections




I officially started Forever Natural Tees this past July and although we are still very new (about 3 1/2 months old) I’ve learned so much, met some really amazing people and started a journey on something that I’m very passionate about. I really didn't know where to start in the beginning, I just knew that I wanted to create something that would inspire and encourage girls who are rocking their natural curls to have self-love while being stylish.  

It all started with the Naturalista Hair Show created by the lovely Angela Walker of N Natural Hair Studio in Silver Spring, MD. I've been designing for her for a while now and even designed everything for the Naturalista Hair Show. While working on the show in the beginning of the year, I realized that this could be a great opportunity/challenge for me to try to become a vendor and sell my shirts for the very first time. Keep in mind that I didn't have any shirts or designs made, just a bunch of ideas. However, since it was the beginning of the year, I had a good amount of time to start planning and designing.

A lot of free time became available for me to start working on my ideas early in the year because I was let go from my job at a design firm. At first, I panicked because I couldn't rely on my steady income anymore and I had to look for another job. That is, until my husband suggested that I pursue my own business ideas. Which was shocking, exciting and scary all at the same time, but I took a leap and went for it.



There were many frustrating days (and there still are) because now that my husband is our main source of income, I was really worried about how I was going to contribute and how we would make it. That’s when I decided to be a freelance graphic designer while simultaneously designing my t-shirt line. I spent a lot of time researching, brainstorming and designing and I finally decided that it was time to reveal my ideas to the world. One day, I had the bright idea to create a contest on Instagram to introduce and engage my audience to get them involved in the design process. The contest turned out very well and I received so much positive feedback that I knew this was the right thing to do.

In-between the contest and the Natrualista Hair Show, I thought it would be a great idea to hire a model and photographer to create advertisement for my shirts. I had very little money so, in order to get what I needed, I used the help of friends and bartering. I traded my design services with my friend Eric Slye, who is a great photographer and was able to pay my model, Raquel, a small fee for her help. They were both very excited to help me and the shoot was so much fun! I then realized how much people are willing to help if you ask and that I really enjoyed being a creative director. With the photos from the shoot, I was able to create postcards and online ads which, helped give the company a more professional look and I had something to pass out to potential customers at the upcoming hair show.





Fast forward to the Naturalista Hair Show on July 28, 2013 and there I was at a booth selling my shirts! I was so nervous and thrilled to expose my designs to the world because I didn't know what was going to happen.  Once the doors opened, there was no turning back. Although, I’m usually a reserved and somewhat shy person, I put my game face on and was ready to greet customers. Thankfully I had the help of one of my good friends, Divinity Buggs who was so awesome; I couldn't have done it without her. Everyone had great responses to the shirts and I actually sold out! After the hair show, I made my shirts available for sale online on Etsy and I felt so invigorated.








(MY FIRST CUSTOMER!) 


I left the show that day on such a high that I felt unstoppable. That was until I didn't receive any online orders the next day or the day after that or the day after that. I started to crash from my high and spiral into negativity because I wanted to see immediate results. However, life simply doesn't work that way and any good thing takes time. I ended up receiving my first online order after a while and although more orders didn't come in by the truck load (as I imagined), they started happening slowly, but surely.

In August, I felt it would be great to do another photo shoot because the first one was very effective and extremely fun.  I asked for help again and used my bartering skills. Thankfully, my brother-in-law Elijah Rashad of One Shot CloserPhotography and sister-in-law Sharde Rashad, who is a fabulous model and fashion blogger  were more than happy to pitch in.  I am so grateful to have people around to help and support my dreams and love returning the help.






As I said before, Forever Natural Tees is only 3 and a half months old, but in this short amount of time I've realized that this is what I’m supposed to be doing. I started this company because of my passion for design, fashion and my natural tendency to encourage people. This company is my heart and I hope that it inspires you to start your own company, or simply love who you are and be comfortable in your own skin.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped and supported me along this journey and a special THANK YOU to all of my customers! I couldn't have done this without any of you. Stay tuned because I have so much more in store for Forever Natural Tees.

Love always,

April  

No comments:

Post a Comment