Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Girls who ROCK: Niki's Groove; The Illustrator

 

About Nicholle "Niki" Kobi: 
I actually used to work in the financial industry but for a year now, I've been a freelance illustrator. I decided to leave my job to develop my own business as a fashion illustrator. My family is from the Kongo (Kinshasa), but I grew up in Normandy in a small city (France) and have been living in Paris since 1999. At first, I came to Paris to study then, I decided to stay.

Why do you ROCK?

In French we say "je suis la ou on ne m'attend pas"  which means: "I am where no one thinks I can be or go..." That's why I rock! 

How did you get your start in illustration?

I've always illustrated, but I didn't take it seriously. I just did it for fun and for friends. But like I said earlier, I worked in the financial industry and realized that I wanted to go back to my first love and my passion which, is illustrating. So, I decided to be an illustrator, full time.


 

Where and when are you most creative?
I'm most inspired at home in my little office. I feel great there when I'm alone listening to good music. I'm most creative when I have all these elements.

What do you hope your illustrations will contribute to society?

There's an empty space in illustration for black women and that's sad so, I really want my illustrations to show that we can be whatever we want. Most illustrators draw white or manga women and I want to draw real, modern black women. I hope that all black women will see how beautiful they are no matter what shade, hair type, size, etc.

What or who inspires you?

I'm inspired by black women that I meet in the street or that I see on internet. The internet is a big source of inspiration. I just love being a woman.

What's are your goals for your illustrations?
My goals are to touch black woman around the world. Maybe I'm a big dreamer but, I want to capture every black beauty with my pen. I hope to make them feel more beautiful or just to see how beautiful they already are.

Why do you do what you do?

I do what I do because it makes me feel happy. I love what I see when I finish an illustration and want to share it with the world.

What are your favorite pieces that you've created?

I don't have a favorite. I love them all differently because I believe they are an example of God's grace. Even though sometimes I'm not happy with some of them, there's always someone else who likes it and that great! 



If you could illustrate for anyone (a company, blog etc), who would it be?
I have one company that I really want to work with but, it's a secret... :) However, I'm open to a lot of things. I would love to create illustrations for the beauty industry as well as fashion, magazines, blogs, hair products...etc

What tips would you give someone hoping to become an illustrator? 

Practive everyday in order to get published on a blog or website and also look for an agent to represent you.



You can find out more about Niki and her illustrations here:

4 comments:

  1. OMG! I so LOVE this. There is such a lack of artwork showcasing our beautiful sista girls. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will be stalking her on IG now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes there aren't enough representation of us, but she and a few others are changing that!

      Delete