Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Confessions of a Naturalista: "Self-proclaimed weave queen"


By Yani, from Brooklyn 

I would like to start out by saying I LOVE NATURAL HAIR!  I think everyone who wears natural hair is beautiful.  I secretly would love to wear my natural coils but lack the courage to do so. 

I think it is important to state how my natural journey started.  At the age of 29 I noticed my hair shedding a lot, I mean hair everywhere.  It was a transitional time for me so I attributed it to stress. But as the time passed the shedding continued. That prompted me to stop relaxing my hair.  

That was 6 years ago and I haven’t had a relaxer since.  Though I wasn’t relaxing my hair, I was a self-proclaimed weave queen. I mean I was and am an addict! I love the horse’s hair. For me, a fresh weave was equivalent to a fat kid and a big piece of cake!

I have worn a weave so long it looks more natural to me than my natural hair.  I always had a big fear of someone I work with seeing me without my wig, I am so afraid I even wear my wig to the gym!  

Now that I’m living in Brooklyn I am constantly surrounded by black women in their natural form. It makes me feel a bit stupid walking around with this wig on my head. Though I am extremely conflicted I still don’t have the courage to wear my natural hair in public. I think this stems from having short hair as a child and always yearning to have lighter skin and long hair. Don’t get me wrong I have a full head of hair. Many people who have seen my natural hair think I’m insane to wear a wig.  

I wish I had the confidence and enough love for myself to conquer this curse. I guess the first step is admitting my problem. Hopefully the next step will be over coming my fears.


Have any of you felt this way about your hair? If so, how have you overcome it or have you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment