Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Girls who ROCK: "Ilia, Girl on Fire"

It's my pleasure to share this interview I had with Ilia, graphic designer for Curl Box, Creator of Natural is Dope and CEO of ILIANIKCO. She is a creative, driven and inspiring lady on the path of greatness. Enjoy! 



1. Why do you ROCK?
I honor the gifts God has blessed me with. Stay true to myself and my craft, and I am continuously striving to become better always!

2. What inspired you to become a graphic designer?
My mom actually threw the idea to me when I was in High school, since she saw the computer age crowing. I've always been artistic, my whole family are visual or performing artists. Only a couple of us took it to a professional level. I actually wanted to be a Fashion Designer since I was little girl. So I decided to infuse high fashion elements in my design regime.



3. What was it like to be the first Black Woman to graduate from the Visual Communications department at Kansas State University?
Intimidating at first. Because it wasn't anyone like me, my color, my gender that was doing it. I am actually the 1st to graduate from the program going straight through, not transferring from a different program. My mentor, Dana Owens, was the 1st to graduate from the program transferring from Architecture. She assisted me in getting into the program through her support and love. But now, it's very gratifying because I truly love my art.



4.Was it hard to relate to your peers while at the University?
ABSOLUTELY! BIG BOLD LETTERS, ALL CAPS. lol. I always knew what I wanted projects to look like, but I didn't have the technical know how, nor the finances to have programs in high school like my peers did. Then there wasn't many minority women let alone black in my department. All my friends were in education or other concentrations

5. Do you feel like women of color are well represented in the design industry?
Not really. There isn't really any stand out person that has set a standard that is known. I don't feel like there are any representations of us, because it's such a male dominated field!




6.  What barriers are you hoping to break in the industry?
The recognition of Black women as profound designers. Nothing less than that.

7. What’s it like working on Curl Box with Myleik?
It's amazing, because we mesh in our views of art, design, expression. I love her spirit and we just fit. She's my sister, my mentor, a great inspiration in my life and a huge supporter of me and my craft. She knows what she wants, but can't actually design it, I know how to bring it out and breathe life into it. It's like watching a baby grow into a mogul, because it was just October 2011 and literally 1 hour that she contacted me with the idea, i rendered the logo (in 15 minutes) then the splash page to introduce the company. From all the branding elements on the blog, mag cards and other facets of branding, it's been a joy. The rest is history! :)




8. Did you expect your design to become an icon in the natural hair community?
Nope. I just do what I do. When you are blessed in your craft, God has an infinite anointing all over it. I am just blessed with the opportunity to create dope work, that people respond positively to! :)

9. Has your clientele changed or increased since the release of CurlBox?
I worked with over 300 clients before curlBOX. I think that types of clients have evolved, into more beauty inspired projects, which is cool, because I enjoy doing them, and assisting others in making their dreams come true. 



10. What’s been your favorite project that you’ve worked on?
It's been so many it's hard to really say. I think honestly curlBOX because of the success and longevity of the experience. It is only getting better. Natural is DOPE too, because it allows my art to transpire from a tangible perspective/ They both are growing rapidly, and with the growth more cool artistic experiences.

11. What’s it like managing two brands; your graphic design firm and Natural is Dope.
BUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I do all design work, concepts and marketing for both my firm and my lifestyle brand, it can be exhausting. Sometimes I feel like doing more Graphics for others, sometimes more for NID. But it's a cool balance for sure!




12.   What is your vision for the future of your companies and the work you do?
To be in all the Major Magazines/blogs as one of the top firms/brands. To be able to continue to bless people with my art, be able to inspire young black boys and girls into pursuing their goals. TO GIVE BACK, by speaking life over those who want to design or do art of any capacity.

13. Describe your design aesthetic/style.
Clean, crisp, striking, profound, eloquent. Graphik Stimulation ( my tagline for INIKCOKREATIVE) My art evokes every sense, because the amount of passion that is poured into it can't be measured. I just do what feels right, what makes sense, what is beautiful and memorable.

14. What do you love most about design?
Typography. The way words and letterforms feel, move, exist. How they come together to make a wonderful story. The marriage with BOMB imagery…. you can't beat it. 




15.  What inspires you?
Everything. There's not just one thing. From the clouds in the sky to what I see in the Fashion World. 

16. What tips would you give aspiring designers looking to make a name for themselves?
FIND + STAY TRUE TO YOUR NICHE! Don't copy, just be true to you, what you truly love. God doesn't bless you with talent to be like anyone else. We are all blessed as creators, and creators are not imitators. They are natural innovators and contributors to the beauty of life. Get into it. :)








For more on Ilia:
http://www.inikcokreative.com
Instagram: @ILIANIKCO
www.twitter.com/inikco
www.facebook.com/inikcokreative


5 comments:

  1. love this interview, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Dana both inspired me in my art journey. Being an African American female in KSTATEs art program wasn't easy, but you both paved the way for me to continue on and graduate. I appreciate you both and wish you many blessings and success in your life.

    Tamara Haynes (Taylor)

    P.S. I need to go see what number I was....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. hop over to this web-site her explanation see this my response click here for info click

    ReplyDelete