Monday, December 2, 2013

Girls who ROCK: Nneka Salmon



Please give a brief bio of yourself.
Hello, my name is Nneka Salmon, I reside in Brooklyn New York.  I am a Fashion and Portrait photographer and full time student.


Why do you ROCK?
I rock because I have accomplished a lot of personal goals and established solid connections at a young age. Many people usually wait till they finish college or until they get older to pursue their dreams. Time is of the essence and the time is NOW.
 
What are your career goals?
My goal simply put is to get to the highest level in my field but while doing so, mastering and learning as much as I can in the process.

What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about my art, self, and ministry.


How did you figure this out?
Through experiences period. I respect and care about anything that I am involved in, and my art is something that is prominent in my life, It is one of my main outlets and voice to the world. Also selfcare is important, learning to love and care for your mind body and soul is never ending. The word of God has shaped and changed for the better. As an active member in my ministry I want to let that light and love of God pour out in everything that I do.




How did you get to a place where you were brave enough to pursue your dream?
I stopped listening to the voices of people who didn’t see the vision for my life, who didn’t fully believe me and most of all I let go of those who were not connected to my destiny.

Do you think it’s important for people to pursue their dreams?
Yes, you were born with a purpose so fulfill it. The time that we have here is precious. Leave a legacy.

Where do you see yourself in the future?
Working with elite fashion/production houses. Traveling the globe exhibiting and discussing photography and economic affairs.




Do you ever get discouraged about pursuing your dream?
Of course, sometimes it is hard to make that next step especially when you don’t see where the finances or supplies will come from.

 What have you done to progress towards your career goals/dreams?  
 I intern and network.

What does it take to follow your dreams and passions?
It takes boldness, courage, hope and faith

What obstacles have you overcome?
Fear



How do you stay motivated?
I remember the vision – and know that where I am is not my final destination – while knowing that process of getting there is not easy but it is necessary.

Do you think it’s important to have people around you who are like minded?
Yes I do! Its important to have that close circle that you can relate and connect with.
   
Please give general advice for people wanting to pursue their career goals.
Map out your schedule day to day and leave a little time to REST. Learn that it is okay to say NO. You don’t have to be at every event or go to every dinner date with friends. You have to reach that place where you make the sacrifices now so that you can rejoice later. Also, never become discouraged by what is portrayed on the Internet and always seek to improve yourself and work. YOUR Time is valuable, and most importantly never lose hope. 




To see more of Nneka's work check out her website
Instagram: @thenewyorkan 

6 comments: