Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Girls who ROCK: Amanda "Model Citizen"


Meet Amanda, from Elkridge, MD. I met her when I was in undergrad at the University of Maryland and have been following her modeling career for a while now. She is gorgeous, talented and has an amazing portfolio. Continue reading to learn more about her experience as a model and how you can break into the industry.

Why do you rock?
I rock because I stay true to myself, I reach for my dreams, and I always try to live life to the fullest! I don’t compromise my personality for anybody and I’m not afraid to stand out in a crowd. Everyone can be wearing plain black outfits and I would be the one wearing a full sequin outfit (I’ve done it before, so I know how it is lol). I’m a dreamer; I have aspirations and every day I make sure I’m working towards fulfilling those dreams. I live a busy, hectic life, full of events, castings, outings, etc. and yes I may be tired sometimes, but at least I can say that I’m really making the best out of my life. I would never want to look back on my life and be sad because I never did anything. In my journey to accomplishing my dreams I also take time to reach out and help others. I was once in their place, so I know what’s like to just start out. Remember that life is not a competition; instead we should all help each other out, and in turn, the world may be a happier place.





Do you think college helped you with modeling in any way?
I definitely think that college helped me with modeling. I joined a fashion related organization when I was in college which is where I got the idea to start modeling.

Why and when did you decide you wanted to be a model?
I decided that I wanted to model my sophomore year of college. I was first inspired by the models I saw at the fashion club in school, how they walked with so much confidence and grace, and how everyone cheered for them on the runway. Back then I didn’t have that much self confidence and I saw modeling as a way to help me gain confidence and build my self esteem. Modeling made me feel really good about myself.

How did you get into the industry and how did you start getting actual modeling jobs?
I started off with a few casual photoshoots here and there, and I actually didn’t take it seriously when I started. After several photographers prompted me to look into being more serious, then I decided to put more effort into breaking into the industry. I started with going to networking events and fashion industry events, where I met photographers, makeup artists, designers, etc. When you put yourself out there, people might start contacting you about certain jobs, so networking is a very important part of breaking into the industry.





I made business cards for myself with my photo and measurements on them and went to fashion events in the area and passed them out. I went to websites like yelp.com, eventbrite.com, or gregslistdc.com to find out when and where there were fashion events in my area. Another way that I started getting jobs was from a website called Model Mayhem, which gets a bad reputation sometimes but it can be very helpful in finding local photographers to work with to get your portfolio started. I still use the site from time to time to find new people to work with, and I’ve found that it’s been a very useful website for me.

Who’s your favorite model and why?
My favorite model is Alek Wek because she was someone I could look up to when I was growing up. I was always teased for my dark skin, and to see a beautiful successful dark skin woman on the runway let me know that my dark skin is beautiful and many other people think so too.





Where do you want to take your modeling career/what are your plans for your future in modeling?
At first my only goal was to be signed to an agency, but at this point I realize that for me, being agency signed isn’t the most important thing for me. It would be nice to be signed, but there are also successful models who do a lot of freelance work. I would just like to be able to work with top companies, be featured in a few ads, get my fair share of print work, and ultimately just make a name for myself within the fashion industry.





What do you like most about modeling?
I love the feeling of empowerment and the boost of confidence it gives me. When I’m modeling, I feel like I’m in another world and I turn into my alter ego, Amanda Finesse. I love doing photo shoots but when I’m on the runway, I get an adrenaline rush, and all eyes are on me. I feel so awesome coming off the runway or seeing photos from a shoot I did. 
Modeling is a mood-booster and a way to release any negative energy I have.

What do you dislike about modeling?
I really don’t like the discrimination in modeling; how you don’t see too many black models on the runway whereas designers pick mostly white models. I’ve been in shows where designers will choose a white model who can’t walk over a black model with a better walk, and I feel as though its simply because the model is white. To me as a consumer I would rather see more diverse models so that I can feel as though the clothes are meant to be worn by everybody.  This world consists of all types of people, all different ethnicities, and even though we are in a predominantly white country, I think it’s time for the fashion world to be more diverse. Its way overdue.



What’s your favorite job you’ve done so far?
My favorite job has to be when I was on NBC4 in December of 2012 modeling New Year’s fashions for Carine’s Bridal. It was my first time being on TV and I was so nervous but excited at the same time. I was wearing this gorgeous beaded cocktail dress by Theia which the stylist had to pin because it was a little too big on me. Backstage she told me not to turn around under any circumstances because she didn’t want anyone to see the pins, which I understood. However on air it was a different story. The stylist didn’t relay the same message to the news anchor, so after the news anchor described my dress she asked me to show the back. I was so nervous and didn’t know what to do, so I started backing out off camera, and the news anchor was like “You don’t have to back out!” I knew if I had turned around the stylist would’ve been mad though, so I did what I thought was right. After the cameras stopped rolling, everyone burst out laughing on set and started teasing me about how I was “moonwalking” on live TV. To this day, that experience is very memorable and such a great story for me to remember. If you want to see the footage from that TV segment, watch this episode of my web show, The Finesse Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZogyQG8nU

Any advice or tips for aspiring models?
There a few really important things to remember when it comes to modeling.
1.      Don’t give up. You’re going to hear no a lot more than you’ll hear yes. Don’t let that discourage you; your look isn’t for everyone, and every job is not meant for you. When somebody tells you no, use it as fuel to work harder and improve your skills.
2.      Network, network, network! In this industry, it’s all about who you know. Go to fashion shows and networking events whenever you can. Make sure to carry business cards or modeling comp cards on you at all times because you never know who you’re going to meet and when. Some of the jobs you get will be from the people you meet because some jobs only cast models by word of mouth or they ask people they know for referrals. As a matter of fact, I got to be on TV because of a PR agent I met at a networking event who referred me to her client. Networking can get you in where you can’t by yourself.



3.      Stay true to yourself. In this industry its easy to get caught up in what you think a model is supposed to look like, as opposed to embracing your own look. Don’t starve yourself because you think you need to look anorexic to book jobs. No matter how bad you want a job, don’t lose yourself trying to become someone you’re not. Its better to be yourself and be different.
4.      Know your market. There’s all kinds of modeling, not just the high fashion modeling you see in the magazines or on the runway. Do your research on the different areas of modeling: high fashion, editorial, runway, commercial, glamour, swimsuit, fitness, etc. and find out which area you’re best suited for. You’ll save yourself a lot of headache and energy if you figure this out first.
5.      Don’t be a diva! You’re a model and you’re beautiful but that doesn’t give you the right to have an attitude like you’re better than everyone else. Be nice to EVERYBODY. Nothing is worse than a model with a great walk, great look, and a nasty attitude. Trust me, nobody likes to work with divas and you can guarantee that you will not be booked again. Also people talk and one person you may be nasty to may be the one to let everyone know not to work with you. Again, be nice to everybody!
6.      Have fun! No, modeling is not easy, and you may reach some pitfalls, but you should always remember to have fun no matter what happens. Modeling is a great way to boost your confidence and feel good about yourself. No matter what obstacles you may face on your journey, remember why you started enjoy the process.



What is your favorite item in your closet?
It’s so hard to choose just one item! I have a lot of different things that I like, but one of my favorite items has to be this really cool black Torn by Ronny Kobo jacket that I have. It has a peplum shape, but its sort of abstract, and looks really architectural and avant garde. It also has a quilted texture to the fabric of the jacket which makes it look even more interesting. I always get compliments when I wear it, and no matter what I’m wearing, the jacket always upgrades the whole outfit. Everyone needs a piece like that in their closet!

How long have you been natural?
I’ve been natural for about 2 and a half years. I started a few months after I graduated from college.



Check out her online portfolio here: http://www.amandafinesse.com and http://www.thefinesselife.com to watch her Web show, which features fashion shows and backstage access.

No comments:

Post a Comment