Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hair Care: "Beer Soap Review"

For Christmas, my mom ordered these awesome beer soaps from "Good Clean Soaps" on Etsy for me. I'm not sure how I found these because in the shop they're called "shaving soaps" and I don't shave (I wax). Random, I know. LOL However, I thought they would be awesome to try on my hair because they're all natural and contain beer in them. 

Occasionally, I like to do beer rinses as a hair treatment. The protein from the molt and hops are awesome for natural curls because they coat, rebuild and repair hair. (Read more about beer rinses on Naturally Curly.com) So, I thought it would be really cool to try a soap with beer in it. After reading the ingredients, I was nervous when I saw "sodium hydroxide" because I didn't know exactly what it was. However, once I researched it, I felt more at ease. I found this post on Curly Nicky that shed some light on the topic: 

"While NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is damaging to hair when used at high concentrations and at high pH, when used at low levels at neutral pH, it doesn't cause any problem at all. That’s because sodium hydroxide is basic (hi pH) and it will react with other ingredients that are acidic (low pH.) This reaction neutralizes the hydroxide so it’s not harmful to hair."

I also spoke with Shawn, the owner of Good Clean Soaps and she basically told me the same exact thing. Therefore, I felt comfortable and decided that I still wanted them. Don't believe me? Here is another source that states that its harmless: Natural Haven

She has a nice variety of scents to chose from and I picked:  BLACK RASPBERRY - Handcrafted with Abita Purple Haze, MANGO CILANTRO - Handcrafted with Summer Shandy and VANILLA BEAN - Handcrafted with Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. I got a set of 3 scents for $24.45 including shipping. 

I love the packaging for these and each bar is a pretty good size. Shawn also recommends that you don't use the whole bar, but cut pieces off as needed to make it last longer. I can see these bars lasting me about 6 months (I typically wash my hair once a week.)


                 Beer Soap Collection - Shaving Soaps
Photo from Good Clean Soap Shop

Here is a picture of the beer soaps and my hair when I washed them! 




I have a combo of 4A, B and C hair. 





Hair with shampoo


I dried my hair with a t-shirt



Rinsed and somewhat dry (This is from a different wash day, but same soap).


After I shampooed my hair, it felt soft, smelled great and didn't feel stripped at all. I would definitely recommend these soaps to any one interested in trying beer in their hair! 

Purchase your soap here: Good Clean Soaps

Follow on Instagram: @goodcleansoap








2 comments:

  1. Great review!:) I've heard about beer rinses but have yet to try them. I am definitely curious about this company. Thanks for sharing~NaturallyMe35.com~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Def check them out because they have all types of cool all natural products!

      Delete