Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Confessions of a Naturalista: "Natural in Corporate America"


The author of this feature has chosen to leave her name anonymous as she shares her experience being natural in corporate America. She is an Associate Vice President at a Public Relations firm in New York City. She handles entertainment accounts -- primarily theatrical film campaigns and film festivals.  


Displaying _MG_7220.JPG



My story:
I’ve worn my hair straight and permed since the second grade -- I still stand by the fact that my hair was too overwhelming for my multiracial mother whose hair is not quite like mine! (although she’d hate me for saying that). Unlike a lot of transition accounts, I never had any traumatizing experiences with relaxers. In fact my long, straight hair always looked pretty awesome. Nevertheless, I made the decision to let go of my perm at 25 -- which was an overall identity-exploring year for me in several aspects.

With permed hair I felt like a fraud and I hated myself for being disgusted with the hair that grew in when my perm grew out, partly because I recognized that that meant I hated a piece of me – so dramatic, right? Who am I? With a perm I actually felt more different than my fine-haired colleagues in having to wrap my hair at night on business trips in the occasional shared room, or in getting caught in the snow at Sundance where my co-workers would watch the texture of my hair change before their eyes. I felt like I was trying to hide something and convince everyone around me -- including myself -- that my hair was like theirs.

I wanted to be in a place where I didn’t need to run from the rain or the pool, or spend $70 upwards for a perm every six weeks. Most importantly I wanted to somehow find solace with/embrace my hair’s natural texture.

As an introverted person, I had a million fears of standing out in a negative way, but working in the entertainment industry was certainly on my side in that regard. I’ve been lucky in that my natural hair was wholly embraced at the office – ugly phase and all -- probably because it seemed different and edgy. After years at the firm of always being the baby in my department, I also think my new short hair came off a bit more mature vs. my long straight hair pulled back into a ponytail. Overall my colleagues were very supportive and I received a ton of compliments, even when I was sure I didn’t deserve them! My experience may have been very different somewhere more corporate.

I’ve managed to get promoted twice throughout my transition so it can’t be but so off putting. At times I feel pre-judged or treated differently because of it, but some (read: most) of that is my own insecurities as I continue to adjust, gradually loving my hair more and more overtime and as it takes on a life of its own.

My advice to those apprehensive about going natural in corporate America: Know that once you embrace it and are confident, most everyone else around you will. Confidence and professionalism trumps everything, and if for some reason it doesn’t you’ll never be comfortable where you are. Corporate America exists on a spectrum so there are certainly more open-minded, corporate cultures with employees who will focus on your merit and work ethic rather than your hair, and are enthusiastically waiting to embrace you with open arms – ‘fro and all.

What has your experience been like having natural hair and working in corporate America?






No comments:

Post a Comment