Thursday, January 2, 2014

Confessions of a Naturalista: Mae; "Brains and Beauty"



Mae aka "Natural Chica" is no stranger to any of us in the natural hair community. She's the creator and editor of NaturalChica.com and corresponding YouTube channel (Nikkimae2003). BUT did you know that Mae is also a Ph.D. candidate in Materials Science & Engineering?! Raise your hand if you know what that is! lol

Not only is she gorgeous, personable, friendly and stylish, but she’s super intelligent! (Anyone who studies any type of Science and Engineering is nothing short of a genius in my mind.) She received her B.S. in Materials Science & Engineering from the University of Maryland – College Park (my alma mater, Go Terps!)

Mae is an amazing example not only to the natural hair community, but to women in general of what it means to have brains and beauty (especially inward) and that anything is possible with dedication and determination. Continue to read to learn more about her experience in this field.

Materials Science & Engineering,investigates the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic or molecular scales and their macroscopic properties.”-Wikipedia
 In Lamens Terms: "Materials science and engineering is a discipline that enables the creation and application of materials in society.  Materials engineers modify and design materials to perform better than they otherwise would. They develop new materials and create uses for them that benefit humans." (http://www.matse.psu.edu/whatismatse)



What inspired you to pursue a degree and career in this industry?
I had a wonderful guidance counselor in high school that recommended I attend a summer program geared towards females interested in engineering because of my expressed interest in math and science. The program was held at the University of Maryland and I really enjoyed learning about the different fields of engineering and their real world applications. It was there that I was introduced to the field of Materials Science and decided I wanted to major in that field when I went to college. I thought it was really interesting to be able to understand at the atomic level why materials behave the way they do and how you can tailor their properties for various applications. 

There aren’t many women or women of color in the field of Engineering, what’s your experience like?
It's true that there aren't many women or women of color in engineering, but those numbers have actually been increasing! It wasn't rare for me to be the only female on the team for a group project or to be the only person of color in an entire class, however I was well supported throughout my engineering studies through participation and leadership in groups like the National Society of Black Engineers and the Society of Women Engineers. It's always great to be able to relate to others with similar circumstances, and being involved in those groups definitely enhanced my undergraduate journey in engineering.

Why do you think not many women of color are in this field?
There have been many national studies that have tried to address this question and it’s certainly a number of different factors. I personally think exposure at a young age is an important factor as you can't pursue something you don't even know exists or how it relates to society. I had never heard of Materials Science until a year before I graduated and it was thanks to my guidance counselor's recommendation that I participate in the engineering summer program. During my involvement with the National Society of Black Engineers and Society of Women Engineers, we would actually put on engineering programs for elementary and high school students in underrepresented areas, which was exciting as we saw many students develop an interest in science and engineering that hadn't before. 

Was it and is it ever difficult for you to acclimate or relate to your peers/colleagues?
In undergrad, the environment could be a bit intimidating at times since some students were extremely competitive. Once I made up my mind that all that mattered was me doing my best, I released those fears and have carried that attitude into my graduate studies as well. 

Where do you see yourself in this industry and what is your ultimate career goal?
My current Ph.D. research is in the area of biomaterials design, which is essentially researching the next generation of materials for devices that interact with the body. I do enjoy the research environment and want to work with research and development teams in engineering biomedical solutions that will enhance the quality of life. Ultimately, I want to have a positive impact on society in whatever role I am in. 



Engineering is no walk-in-the-park, have you ever wanted to give up or questioned why you’re on this path?
I certainly have become frustrated at various points throughout my undergraduate and graduate studies as probably any student of any field will tell you. My dad gave me great advice when I was younger about thinking of the end goal when frustration would hit. That helped remind me of why I was doing what I was doing and helped me develop some serious faith, persistence and patience as I progressed through my studies.


What keeps you motivated?I believe that I'm at this point in my life because of God and it's by His strength that I continue to do what I do. I also have the most incredible support from my husband, family and friends. 

What do you like the most and least about your field?
Since I was a kid, I've always had questions about how things work, and being in the field of engineering has given me the tool set to understand existing answers and discover the answers to the questions not answered yet. As a graduate student conducting research in Materials Science, it can be frustrating when you set up experiments to try and answer scientific questions and they don't turn out the way you hypothesized. However, even in those "failures", I've realized that there is much to be learned from those experiences as well. 

My husband is an Industrial and Systems Management Engineer and I remember him not sleeping for days (lol). How in the world do you manage balancing being a wife and student while having a successful blog/vlog?
For me, it's all about keeping my priorities straight. My relationship with God and family is first, followed by my studies then running my blog/vlog. I live by my planner and it helps me keep track of what's on my plate and when I can allot time for lower priority items. It's not easy and frequently means late nights/early mornings, but it helps when you're doing what you love!

Who inspires you?
People who are passionate about what they do and have a positive influence in their community. I'm inspired by people that go after their dreams, even if its one small step a time. Those small steps turn into major progress! 

What advice would you give someone looking to become an engineer?
I would encourage them to explore the different fields of engineering and look at how these different fields play a role in society. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to engineers working in a field that you're interested in and having an in-depth conversation with them about what they do. If there are pre-college engineering programs at your local institutions, I would definitely recommend enrolling in those as well. 

My hat goes off to all the Scientists and Engineers out there in the natural hair community! If that's you shout out your field in the comments section below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment