Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Confessions of a Naturalista: "Natural Birth Control?"










Have any of you ever thought about natural birth control methods? My husband and I have been married going on two years this December and we aren't ready to have children yet. However, I've been torn about using artificial birth control methods. I thought over the counter birth control (and condoms) were the only option and we simply weren't satisfied with that. 

Recently, I've been intrigued about finding other methods of birth control besides artificial contraception options such as; the pill, Nuva-Ring, IUD, etc. Perhaps it’s my inner “hippie” emerging, but the fact that I’m putting artificial hormones into my body frightens me and I don’t want to wait around to see what the side effects are. 

(Photo credit: Google Images)

Lately, I’ve been really into getting back to the simplicity of nature in many areas of my life. Simplistic in a sense that refers to understanding my body, how it works and what I’m putting into it. Every day we are bombarded with so many artificially "processed" things from the food we eat to the products we put in our hair to our methods of birth control. For me, it's becoming second nature to want to eat more organic, use less commercial products in my hair and I've even kicked my “Nuva Ring” to the curb.

This isn’t a post to convince all of you to trash your birth control and burn your bras, but I’m simply sharing my need to know more about my own reproductive system. Also, let me say that I hadn’t had any adverse side effects from using the Nuva Ring or the pill.  However, I don’t like the fact that I was inserting chemicals into my body and was oblivious to what’s really going on.

I got the urge to research other methods of birth control and came across this book called “Taking Charge of Your Fertility” by Toni Weschler, MPH.  Often when I get the idea to do something, I start out by doing my research first, check reviews and if all is well then, I dive in! That’s exactly what I did after reading reviews on this book and was surprised that it received 5 stars on amazon from 592 people. I’d never seen such positive reviews on a book from Amazon before so, I felt super comfortable ordering my own copy. 

After discovering this book, I found it odd that doctors don't recommend "natural" forms of birth control like the Fertility Awareness Method. After reading the first few chapters of the book, I began to understand why. Using the FAM method means that women will no longer have to pay hundreds of dollars each year for birth control and probably wont have to visit the gynecologist as frequently. This was very intriguing to my husband and me especially, because I would be more aware of my body and it's another opportunity for us to save money. 

So far I can say that this book is amazing! I’ve learned so much about my body that I wish I learned sooner. This book covers things including: Fertility Awareness Method which helps you understand your fertility signs in order to determine the best time to get pregnant or to avoid pregnancy, practicing the Fertility Awareness Method; how your body temperature, cervical fluid and the position of your cervix can determine whether or not you’re fertile, understanding your menstrual cycle, menopause and more. It’s also good for promoting gynecological health overall.  



The Fertility Awareness Method is NOT the same as Rhythm Method, but “refers to a set of practices used to determine the fertile and infertile phases of a woman's menstrual cycle.” (Wikipedia) This book is filled with so many fascinating and helpful facts that I can’t begin to explain it all in one post! If you’re interested in learning more, I would strongly suggest that you check out a copy of this book at your local library or purchase one.

There is a lack of knowledge in general when it comes to women understanding their bodies and we rely too much on doctors to tell us what’s happening with our own bodies. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to take charge of my own fertility because there is nothing more liberating that knowing who you are.

To read a brief synopsis of the Fertility Awareness Method click here and to get more info about the book click here.

What are your opinions about alternative methods of birth control aside from artificial contraception?




3 comments:

  1. I've recently decided to kick my artificial birth control to the curb; literally like two days ago. I would have side effects and I just felt like I had no control over my body. I've also decided to look more into natural birth control methods. Thanks so much for this post! I will definitely check out the book you recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I def recommend this book! It's extremely helpful and easy to read! If you get it, let me know what you think!

      Delete