Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Girls who ROCK: Amanda G, Confessions of a Naturalista



Why do you ROCK! 
I rock because I recognize that there is a calling and purpose for my life, and I pursue that with conviction. I'm still working on living with more aggression, but I've definitely come a long way.




What made you want to get involved as a blogger in the natural hair community?
Four years ago I got tired of getting a relaxer, mainly because I was just coming out of college and started to realize how money worked lol! I started watching girls on YouTube who were stretching their relaxers, and then I saw this "natural" thing. I decided I would share my experience to inspire women, as they inspire me with my own hair.


What inspires your vlogs and posts? 
Everything inspires me. Life experiences, real issues, magazines, black beauty, the world of fashion, etc. I love to speak on topics I actually KNOW. Any topic that I would discuss with my friends inspires me to make a video. 

It seems like you like to attend a lot of events within the natural hair community. Can you tell us why you feel that it's important for you to be involved? 
 I do like to attend natural hair events, but especially love to attend them when they go against the grain of the expected natural hair event. I love events that elaborate on more than natural hair, and focus on the total look, or misconceptions about natural hair. I love a little bit of glam in everything, so when there is fashion involved I get really amped. It is important for me to attend to represent my interpretation of being natural, as well as to network and let people know "Hey! I'm out here!"




What's the most important thing to you about networking?
The most important thing is for me to build at least one meaningful connection. I love to engage in what people are saying versus just giving out a business card. I always focus on ONE person in the room to build a lasting connection with.

What are the benefits of networking? 
Networking allows people to make their brand, presence, or services known and to gain clients/support. It allows you to expand your reach, and to possibly receive or give help to others. Networking is how people get that really awesome job that seems unattainable. 


How do you keep up with whats going on in the natural hair scene?
I make sure I stay in tune with people in my city, and follow influential people on social networks. I get up early and research to make sure I stay abreast of new happenings. 

There are so many amazing women within the natural hair community with a unique story. How do you create your own unique voice? 
I honestly just create based off of my experiences and thought process. I was blessed to be able to be good at a few things, and use that as leverage to add more to the "package deal". Model and makeup, are also two things that I am passionate about, so I always share beauty tips and experiences. I am also not afraid to "go there". I share my heartbreaks as well as victories, and people love authencity so it works.



Where do you hope to see yourself in the natural hair community or in the modeling industry?
I have no ceiling as to where I see myself in those industries. In the modeling industry I want to be extremely successful. My goal is to jump into hosting shows on major networks, as well as acting. In the natural hair community I want to continue to inspire and share my experiences. 




What inspires you about being part of the natural hair experience? 
I enjoy seeing all of the different styles, textures, methods, and products. It is fun because its creative and theraputic taking care of natural hair. I love when someone tells me that I have helped them learn their hair, or they tried a style, or a beauty product. Helping people is the most inspiring and is what I am here to do.






You're a fabulous model and have done work that's been published (Bravo!) in magazines like Ebony. How did that happen for you and what was the experience like? 
Awww thanks! (blushes). Fortunately I have a great agency who books me for jobs. Depending on what the client likes it what is published or not. So you may see your work...or not lol! I like to contribute my successes to favor and hard work. Many times I work a 7 day week...no days off! So when I see my work published I know it's because of the seeds that I am planting, and favor lol. The experience is always surreal. I am still in awe ALL of the time, but keep grounded and pushing forward. 

Would you say that networking has aided in helping you meet the "right" people when it comes to modeling, advancing as a vlogger, etc?
Networking has definitely played a major role in my confidence when it comes to modeling. Being able to get into "performance" mode while networking has helped me to be bold when facing my agency and on jobs. I think that my agency saw my work ethic when it comes to my YouTube channel, and took notice. My first piece of published work, I made the cover of Charlotte magazine through networking. My agency saw this and work started picking up. People invest in you when they see that you are willing to invest in yourself. So those experiences do go hand in hand and has taught me how to perform.

                      

You have a very distinctive style that's very "Amanda G." How do you own who you are? 
Hmmm well thats good to hear! I never put too much thinking into anything I'm wearing. I totally prefer to be comfortable, so I dress around that. I also love glamour. Beyonce, Audrey Hepburn, Whitney Houston, and Diana Ross are a few of my inspirations, hair and style wise. I do always like to look "together" even if it is a carefree look. I also take mad inspiration from my mother who is always tailored. I simply wear what I want, and always walk with confidence.

Have you experienced drama within the natural hair community? If so, how do you deal with it?
ABSOLUTELY! A few years back, and even now I get random "hate mail". I had to realize that when you are on the verge of greatness attacks will come. I used to feed into it, but now I just ignore it and move forward. However from time to time I do get a dialogue going on some of my videos. I posted a series called "The Natural Truth" where my salon Revolution Ego talked about their views on different topics in the natural hair community. BOY OH BOY did my viewers come for us! I totally believe in going against the grain, and staying true to who you are. I found the comments interesting and contradicting of what the natural community claims to stand for (peace, acceptance,unity). There are so many layers there, and we still need to make progression. I never let "hate" stop my show. I give it no power.

Any tips or advice for girls looking to break into the natural hair community as a blogger? 
Just do it! Start creating, and don't think so much. Create what YOU want to see. Be original and just DO YOU!

Amanda G.
Model. Beauty +Lifestyle Vlogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment