Monday, November 4, 2013

Girls who ROCK: Twiggy B, Model Extraordinaire

Meet Twiggy B, a.k.a my sister-in-law. Many of you might recognize her from one of my "Girls with Curls Rock" photo shoots. She absolutely ROCKS as a model and she will be giving us a few tips and tricks about modeling and breaking barriers in her own career as a "short" model. 




Twiggy B, Model extraordinaire 
I am a model, creative director, stylist, and fashion blogger for www.vintageappetites.com. I have been into fashion for as long as I can remember...changing my clothes 5 times a day, imagining they were costumes, or cutting up my Mom's curtains and sheets to make outfits. I always design my own clothes because nothing ever fits me due to my petite figure.

I  became interested in modeling at the age of 13 and after doing many editorials and runway jobs, I decided to learn how to work every aspect of the fashion industry in order to master self management and mass market myself. I enjoy having a fashion blog to help others with styling tips, sharing my modeling portfolio and dishing about my favorite shopping spots.

Why I ROCK!
I ROCK because I do for myself! I believe if you want something in life you have to go and do it for yourself; don't sit around and wait for others to do it for you. I was told I was too short to model and I NEVER let that discourage me from my dreams. I have been able to have a very successful modeling career because I learned how to market myself with or without an agency to get paid assignments. I Rock because I never followed the crowd and always find ways to stand out!

Modeling Tips and Tricks
A key factor in taking pictures is knowing your strengths. For example, what are your best angles and assets/features. Also, it's just as important to know your flaws (crooked smile, lazy eye, scars, scoliosis; which, could cause your back to naturally hunch or cause one side of your body to stick out further than the other). Once you are fully aware of your body you can master posing. If you are short like me, you always want to do lengthy poses, posing from your head, stretching your neck, limbs, and even pointing your toes.







All the right angles 
It's important to be aware of lighting. Know which direction the light is coming from because when you're posing you want the light to hit you in all the right places especially, when it comes to your face. Practice finding what angles work for you by taking pictures on your camera or camera phone and moving your face in different positions to see which is best.

Know the product, be the product
Always be aware of what you're modeling. If you're modeling a product or a specific brand, you want to make sure you pose so that it can always be seen clearly. Choose angels that will spotlight the product an make it stand out. Never obstruct the view of the product. 

It's Not all about you
As a, model you have to remember that it's not all about you, but it's about properly showcasing the product or brand you are representing for that job. 

This may be a lot to remember, but all of these factors are important when completing a shoot especially, if you want to work with that company in the future. 


                           

  





Location, Location, Location
When choosing a good location you want to factor in what you're modeling. If it's an outfit, make sure it compliments the surrounding environment. If your outfit is really simple, you probably want to choose a location that would compensate for the simplicity; maybe with trees, wall with graffiti, or in a busy downtown area. However if you're outfit is more dramatic, you want to choose an less complicated environment.  







Where do I sign up!? 
A good way for anyone trying to get modeling jobs is to sign up at www.modelmayhem.com. This website is free to join and lists a wide range of jobs in every area imaginable. Especially, if you are a beginner looking to build your portfolio. You can network with a lot of people and find free jobs or paid gigs depending on your experience/ professional level.

To see more from Twiggy B visit her website at www.VintageAppetites.com

Follow her:
instagram.com/twiggynchic


No comments:

Post a Comment